Home Energy Saving Tips that Won’t Make you Shiver
Tags: HOME ENERGY TIPS, SAVE ON ENERGY COSTS, COMFY HOME, ENERGY SAVING TIPS, Vaughan realtor, Vaughan Homes, Toronto homes
We all want to be comfortable in our home and if when can save a little too – what a bonus. The easiest way to save on energy costs is to reduce your thermostat down. You will probably not notice a significant difference of 2 degrees either way – and the savings can be quite substantial.
If you want to lower your bill even further each month, here are some additional tips that are simple and easy to implement.
- Plug or repair drafts. Even in a newer home, you may feel drafts in your home. So, check around your home for drafts. Cold or windy days are the best times to check. If you have any drafts get them filled or repaired. It may be as simple as caulking windows and doors.
- Check your attic. Heat rises and can escape through the attic. So, it is important to at minimum once a year check the attic insulation for bare or thinning spots. Your insulations should be even across the attic space.
- Get smart with your thermostats. Most thermostats these days are programmable. Take advantage of the programmable features and reduce the heat at night when you are sleeping or when you are not home.
- Unused rooms? It doesn’t make sense to heat unused rooms so close the vents in these rooms. You will be surprised what a difference it can make in lowering your energy bill.
- Take advantage of the sun. After all, it is free energy! Whenever possible, keep your blinds and drapes open during the day to take advantage of this heat source. The sun will quickly warm up your home.
- Try some of these suggestions over the coming months and you may be surprised the impact these tips have on your energy costs.